Monday, March 2, 2009

Conley's Ch.7 "We all need some motivation"

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.” Zig Ziglar

I wanted to begin this blog with a quote that I found. Motivation is so extremely important in the classroom I can't even begin to say. Teachers should motivate their students all the time. I still have to be motivated at 24 years old, granite I do many things on my own but at some point in my life a teacher motivated me and helped mold me into the person I am today.

In the text Conley states that there are several key factors for building motivation among students. Teachers need to model their own enthusiasm. I could take up my entire page with comments about this statement. In my practicum experience, I feel that my teacher in no way shape or form motivates the students. In my observation this week , for three entire hours the students were told to sit in their desks and work on a practice MCT2 mathematics test. A test that they apparently took 3 months ago. After the students finished the practice test for the second time they were told to answer the questions in the current chapter in their science text and turn them in for a grade. For a total of 3 hours there was no communication, social interaction or motivation used at all. I understand that students must take practice tests for state testing, but I feel that my teacher used it as busy work. I was also told that all of the objectives were taught and everything from here on out was review. What?? Is this teacher for real?
There are several strategies that teachers can use to activate prior knowledge and and increase motivation. I hope to see my practicum teacher present content in interesting ways, set high expectations for students and provide feedback and praise when needed.
As a third grade student, motivation and activation of prior knowledge should be incorporated across all content area . I hope to see this in my future visits to the school and that my teacher is willing to spend actual class time teaching with motivation and enthusiasm.

4 comments:

  1. First off I would like to say that your quote is awesome! And I also see the over-elaboration of the MCT2 practice test. Teachers seem to focus on that test only, and in the mean time students are left in their desks being preached to. Not cool! I have a question for you? What would you do differently if you were your clinical teacher? You know that the test is important and your students must do well, so how would you go about teaching them? Would you use the practice test as a tool or not teach to the test at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this quote. And yikes! 3 hours of busy work! Poor students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with JP and Lisa! I really like that quote! Also 3 hours of busy work!?!? Are they crazy! It almost seems that the teacher just does not want to teach! You can only take a test so many times before a student doesnt even read the questions and just goes down and fills in the blank! How would you have gone about this day differently? How do you think you could have helped the students study without spending 3 hours in silence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote! And I totally agree with all of you! Some of today's teachers are raising MCT2 robots! WAY too much emphasis is taught regarding this state exam.Yes, it is important but... Teachers and school districts are so terrified of cuts in funding and lower ratings, they bleed the test dry... while neglecting the overall goal: Student success! Newsflash:Not all students are expert standardized test takers! I wasn't. Don't get me wrong. Students should study and prepare themselves for the exam, but they shouldn't have to eat, drink, and sleep it!
    And 3 hours of it??? What a nightmare!!!

    ReplyDelete